Monday, August 17, 2015

How old is too old?

My personalised planner
For what, I hear you ask? Anything that makes you happy, although it may be 'juvenile', is the answer.

I must explain. Over the last few years I have become somewhat of the Youtube addict and recently discovered the hobby/past-time of 'planning'. I had always viewed diaries/planners as purely a functional item, with a pretty cover and a few pictures at the most. Stumbling upon an Elle Fowler planning video awash with bright colour, stickers, washi tape, coloured pens etc gave me a bit of a light bulb moment - this was something I could get into. 

Since she has over a million subscribers, I am guessing I am not alone. I predict that 'planning' is about to hit New Zealand BIG TIME.


So I got myself a planner (not the $100 Erin Condren Life Planner - that is an investment too far in my opinion), one from Etsy, plain but substantial and just right for personalising. Over the last few months I have been building up my washi tape and sticker collection, and I devote between half and hour to an hour every weekend customising the week to come in my planner. It is super fun and relaxing, a really neat creative outlet, and I find myself not forgetting things as much because I have written them down. 

So why the uneasiness? Because I am a 30 year old woman buying kitten, Barbie, bumblebee stickers etc. When a package comes and I am so happy about it, there is a small judgmental voice inside that says "You're too old for this!"

In America recently I saw a TV ad for adults' colouring books. With happy mum-types saying how is was an excellent way to wind down for the day in front of the TV, in bed etc, with their colouring book. Some even went as far as saying that when they were doing it, they felt like an 'artist' and would tear out the page, frame it and put it on the wall. I wouldn't go quite that far, but I can see how it would be relaxing to do at the end of a long day.
My planner interior

But colouring books are technically for kids. Or are they? I think the lines between kids activities and adults past times shouldn't be so concise, but it doesn't stop that little voice in my head. 

But I don't mind so much now, because it is fun and productive. That's the main thing.

Miss Tartan Fran ox


 

No comments:

Post a Comment