Saturday, November 20, 2010

Art Deco Nauticals

Well, I don't know how long it's been since I posted anything on this blog, but given that I am obsessed with French/nautical themed clothing I thought it might be good to write about it. Suddenly I am craving navy and white stripes, anchors and red. Usually I am a pink gal.

I think it started with my mum giving me a book on the Seeberger brothers who were prominent fashion photographers in the Art Deco period. These men are the quintessential Frenchmen, right down to their waxed moustaches. The book is filled with the royalty, gentry, beauties and high society of the period including Charlie Chaplin and cabaret star Josephine Baker. Gabrielle Chanel features in the book, along with other great couturiers that modern times have forgotten. I started unconsciously thinking about what I would wear if I were holidaying in Deauville or Nice.

A pair of blue spotty shorts (yes, they did wear shorts in those days) seemed a good place to start. Next I think will come a navy and white striped tank top and sweater (Maxshop) some platform sandals (yes they wore those too) and an aqua and cream striped scarf. To shield me from the sun, I think a rice paper parasol might fit the bill - they did sun smart with style back then.

To top it all off, a white chair found its way onto my deck recently and it is so comfy and looks like it belongs on the balcony of a villa at Cap Martin.

It may sound like I live in the past and to some extent this is true. There is a glamour and dignity about this particular period for me that is intoxicating. The dressing for dinner, cigarette holders and long gloves. But I think we can also learn something from days gone by, even if its just that a big floppy straw hat will protect you better that a baseball cap.

2 comments: