Thursday, May 27, 2010

Deco Madness.

Wow it has been a long time since anything has inspired me to write a post. I haven't been that well this year so my focus has been on getting better, which is not very colourful to broadcast to the world. However something I have wanted to blog about is ART DECO!

I want first introduced to it when my mum mentioned I might like to read some Agatha Christie books, about nine years ago. I have always been partial to mysteries and after the first one I was hooked. And gradually after watching a few on tv, I fell in love with the architecture, clothes, cars, and etiquette of the era (between the wars mostly).

It is a love that has lasted almost a decade and recently I pretty much decided, with my fiance's concurrence, to having an art deco style wedding. I am pretty sure I have found the dress, style for invitations, venue, colour scheme, and wedding car. Of course, our wedding is about five years away so there is the possibility we will change our minds, but personally I don't think so. Everything about the concept make sense to me and Darren has no objections, as long as he can wear a suit.

All very exciting, but I was craving something a little more short term to throw myself into when I found an upcoming competition for which entrants design and make garments to be worn on the Orient Express, the fabulous train that ran in Europe in the art deco times. Bingo! Before you could say 'flapper' I had come up with designs for the Day wear category and persuaded my sister Kat to enter the Evening wear section.

So far I have made a midnight blue velvet coat with fake fur trim and navy and white striped (very French Riviera) lining and am on the way to completing a dove grey merino jersey dress, knee length with a small train over one shoulder. Will publish photos of these when they are completed.

The material alone for these garments has cost over two hundred dollars, but I don't mind. This project has been all I can think about for many months now and despite a few snags I am really enjoying it.

Will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment